Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ionic Detox Foot Bath Billing

We ran into another question that we haven't had any experience with yet. Thought someone might have an idea to share. Here's the question.

Hi Alice.

I was wondering if you happen to know what the appropriate way of coding an Ionic Detox Foot Bath? I haven't been able to find a CPT code for it and although I'm pretty sure it's a non covered service, I'm being instructed by the Chiropractor I work for to bill it as a 99211. Is this correct? My understanding of that E & M code would not include using it to bill a service such as the Detox Foot Bath, nor do I think that it is an appropriate substitution. If I am correct in my assesment, is there an appropriate code that it should be billed under?

Thanks!


Michele answered this one as follows:

Hi,

I tried to find an appropriate code but didn’t have any luck. I do know that the 99211 is not appropriate since and E&M code is for an office visit for the evaluation and management of a patient’s condition which requires that some decision making is made. The following description is for the 99211 and is only regarding the E&M componenet:



• An E/M service must be provided. Generally, this means that the patient's history is reviewed, a limited physical assessment is performed or some degree of decision making occurs. If a clinical need cannot be substantiated, 99211 should not be reported. For example, 99211 would not be appropriate when a patient comes into the office just to pick up a routine prescription.



In my opinion the Detox Foot Bath doesn’t meet that criteria, unless more is being done than you indicated. However, I would look at the modality codes to see if there is one that more closely describes.the foot bath, or you could use the unlisted modality code, however that is not usually covered.



Hope that helps.

Michele

No comments: