Thursday, September 27, 2007

Medical Billing and Coding Jobs

Wow! I was checking out what else is out there for Medical Billing Blogs and I found this one with an entry about how medical billing and coding jobs are in high demand. That part is true, but it went on to say how it is a good field for people who don't have the skills necessary to compete in the traditional workplace.

What ?!?!? Are they nuts? I don't know what part of the country they are from but where I am, it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to be a 'good' medical biller. This is not a field for drop outs who can't seem to make it in any other field.

I'm not saying that you have to have a college education or that you must complete a billing and/or coding course. I am saying that you do have to have a brain, and the drive and determination necessary to overcome challenges that you WILL face in this field.

The blog entry went on to make a lot of other statements that I certainly don't agree with but they weren't quite as absurd as the one I stated above. I am just amazed at what some people think about the field of medical billing.

Well, that just confirms all the reasons that I started my website and this blog. To tell people the truth about medical billing. It is not some get rich quick scheme, or a job for drop outs. It is a legitimate business opportunity for people who want to make a difference in the medical billing field.

I strive to be the best that I can possibly be for all the medical providers that I bill for, collecting all that they are entitled to for their services. I also strive to share as much of my knowledge as I possible can to help others to be the best in this field also.

Thanks for reading!
Michele

4 comments:

Solutions Medical Billing said...

Michele's sure right about that. It takes a lot of knowledge to get insurnace claims paid correctly.

Alice

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the nice post. The question is- From career perspective, which is better between medical transcription, medical billing and medical coding?

Solutions Medical Billing said...

Hi Jack,
There really isn't a right answer, or one that is better than the other. You just need to consider a few different things, like what experience do you have, what are you looking for some extra income or a full time career, do you want to start a business, or just get a job in the field? These are a few things to think about.

For example, if you just want to work for someone else and you'd like to work from home, you can usually find a transcription company that will hire you to work from home.

If you want to work for someone at their office, usually medical billing & coding requires at the least some experience, coding usually requires certification.

If you are looking to start a business you may want to consider the competition in your area.

And the list goes on. My point is you need to consider what one would work best for you in your situation.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks
Michele

Unknown said...

Great info! As currently I'm a student and I'm preparing myself for a job so may I know some medical coding and billing related useful resources. I hear somewhat about AAPC from my friend, however I want your suggestions as well.....